Pirate Arrrrrrts and Crafts!
In honor of National Talk Like a Pirate Day, I thought I’d post one of my all time favorite crafts! Seriously, I love this pirate map because it fits my top craft criteria:
It really looks and feels like an old piece of parchment. All you need is a brown paper bag, some markers and the secret ingredient (drum roll please!)….VEGETABLE OIL!
- Rip the paper until you have a flat piece of “parchment.”
- Use markers to draw a picture of a map.
- Crumple up the bag into a tight ball then open it up.
- Place a small amount of vegetable oil on a paper towel and rub it over the map.
- Allow to dry (about 1/2 an hour).
If you want it to look and feel like old leather:wet the bag after you crumple it up and allow it to dry in the sun. Then use the markers and vegetable oil.
- Start with a small amount of vegetable oil. You can always add more.
- Washable markers (and even sharpies) might run or bleed a little. That’s okay! It makes the map look old and worn, but be careful about clothing and work spaces.
- The map might feel greasy at first. It will dry into a parchment like texture.
Have fun ye land lubbers and don’t forget to be leaving a comment or I’ll make ye walk the plank! Arrrrggghhh!!!